Day 9: Wow wow wow, I am a Witness

Today was our final day at the Chikuni mission. It was also a day full of laughs, smiles, and memories that I think we will all keep with us. I think the highlights of my day included visiting the primary school and our joint concert. Some students spent the afternoon visiting the primary school and Girl’s secondary school. I spent time along with eight other Zags, with the primary school students. We had a blast singing some fun songs with a third and fifth grade class. They graciously shared songs and dances with us. These young students were so courageous and confident, as they stood up in front of their classmates and visitors and burst into song. I remember one young girl in particular, standing up and singing and dancing. She was so full of joy and she embodied what music means to me. To simply enjoy singing and dancing and to share that joy with others. One thing that I will treasure and take back with me, is that music is meant for everyone. It’s a joy that is meant for everyone to experience, regardless of skill level.

Another highlight of my day was the joint concert at the end of the day. Throughout our time here we have met with three separate groups in preparation for this concert. We all shared several pieces and each group brought something different. We sang pieces with each group, scattered throughout the program. And for the grand finale all four groups came together and sang “Over my Head”. That moment was so powerful, singing with a massive group of people who were different ages, different genders, and came from different backgrounds all coming together to sing. I’ve never really been one to smile or dance during performances, but tonight I had no trouble dancing and smiling surrounded by wonderful, welcoming and gracious people. A saying that I’ve heard several times during my time here is “All the time God is good, God is good all the time that is his nature, wow, wow, wow and I am a witness”. This saying has stuck with me throughout my time here and it perfectly describes my time at the Chikuni mission.


Best Wishes from Chikuni Mission,

                        Maddie Dellinger Gonzaga Class of 2019

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15: And so the trip ended, the journey continuing in heart and mind

Day 2: Table Talk

Day 5: This One's for the Girls