Day 14: All You Need is Love

In just a few short days, I will return home. I cannot be more excited to once again be in the loving embrace of my parents and siblings. With my excitement, however, comes the heartbreak of knowing that the time has come to say goodbye to this corner of the world (at least for now).

In the past two and a half weeks, I have laughed, cried, made music, listened to stories, had my heart broken, made new friends, and have grown in so many ways. I have solidified some of the ways in which I view the world, and I have come up with more questions than I have answers.

One of the questions that has been asked to me— and that I have asked myself— multiple times throughout our trip is this: What is my purpose here? While I’d love to say that now, at the end of our journey, I finally know my purpose on this trip, I have to admit that I have no perfect answer for this question; in fact, I don’t think there is a perfect answer to this question. I believe the answer is unique to each person on this trip, and that mine will be ever-changing.

One thing I keep coming back to in order to answer this question is love. It is such a simple word, yet it holds so much meaning. When I reflect on the experiences I’ve had on this trip, love is the common denominator that has allowed me to experience so many raw connections. Amongst all of the unknown and uncomfortable moments, it is experiencing the love of my Zambian and Zimbabwean friends that makes me feel so at peace here.

I believe that my purpose in travelling is to experience the love around me so that I can better love the people in my life. I can keep learning how to express and accept this love in new ways. This is only one of the ways in which I take part in this “choral exchange”; by exchanging my love with others.

There have been countless numbers of people who have shown me love in the past two and a half weeks: Sonia, Nathan, Emmanuel, Mabel, Kathryn, Beauty, Carol, Nyanja- the list goes on. I am so excited to bring their stories home with me, and even more, to bring their love home with me. One short story that encapsulates this sentiment happened when we were in Chikuni:

While at a choir rehearsal with two local choirs, we were given time to socialize with the singers around us. I met two women named Kathryn and Beauty. During our conversation they decided it would be necessary to teach me Tonga, so they began spelling out phrases and telling me the translations. Among these phrases were: “I’m tired”, “I’m hungry”, “How are you?”, “What is your name?”, and “Thank you”. As we were saying goodbye, they came up with one more word that they told me was the most important word to know in Tonga: mwenzuma (my friend). They explained that I was their mwenzuma, and they were my mwenzumas, and in that moment that was the most important thing in the world. When I saw Kathryn and Beauty during the rest of my time in Chikuni, we referred to each other exclusively as mwenzuma. In such a short interaction, they were able to make me feel so important, welcome, and loved; I couldn’t have been more thankful for that moment.

Each time I experience a cross-cultural interaction I realize that at the end of the day, all we want is to give the love that we hold in our hearts, and to receive the love that others have to offer us. It doesn’t matter if you are American, Zambian, Zimbabwean, or from anywhere else in this world; we just want to be loved. It’s universal; it’s human. I pray that through the love-filled interactions I’ve experienced here, I can better care for those around me; whether they are friends that I see every day or a stranger that I have one single opportunity to get to know.

I still don’t know what my purpose is here in Southern Africa. I don’t know what my purpose is in Spokane, or Cincinnati, or Chicago, or Knoxville, or wherever I may end up after graduation. But what I do know is this: during this time of so much uncertainty, the one steady thing that I have in this life is love. And I wouldn’t change that for the world.

To all of my mwenzumas at home, I will see you so soon. I look forward to our sweet reunion.

To all of my Zambian and Zimbabwean mwenzumas, I hope to meet and rejoice again. Thank you for the love that you have shown me. I pray I can do it justice.

Leza amuleleke (God bless you),

Katie Kenkel
Class of 2017

“Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.” –Mother Teresa



P.S. ZamFam 2016- I miss you more than you know. I think about you guys daily and I laughed really hard during Mass the other day when it was time for the offering. Also, at a rehearsal in Chikuni I sat between two Kathryn’s… “yes, I’m Katie too”. I have found no ZamSip but have had more nshima than ever, so don’t you worry about that. Kisu Mwane, my friends.

P.P.S. Yes, Dad. We are having A-Frican good time. I know you’ve been waiting for me to use that pun again for the past year. Can’t wait to come home to you and Mom soon.

Comments

  1. Katie -

    Before you leave your African mwenzumas, please learn Tonga for "I can't wait to see my little girl."
    Your experiences in these two countries in these past two summers have permanently, positively changed you and your outlook on your future. Keep what you call your steady thing always in front of you and good things will precede you always.
    Safe travels in the next few days - we'll see you Saturday!! Get ready for your next cross-cultural exchange y'all.

    Lots of love,
    Dad (class of 1984) and Mom (class of 1987)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was a blessed and pleasant pleasure to meet you Katie, how wonderful it is to experience Love with humble and contrite hearts,
    I personally felt as though we have been family and connected for many a year's
    I should say when it was time that you left us, I felt as though my heart was broken because it was a union that made a huge, joyful impact.
    Then you left and was so sad to hear you are on your way, won't be back for many a days my heart was down my head was spinning around I had to say goodbye you Mwenzuma (in bemba, Umunandi)
    I miss you and your team , only wish to see you in the hope of another tomorrow.
    Best regards
    Emmanuel _ Zambia_sacredheart choir

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15: And so the trip ended, the journey continuing in heart and mind

Day 2: Table Talk

Day 5: This One's for the Girls