Day 2: Table Talk

People who know me know that I love to have deep and intentional conversations around the dinner table (thank you, Jeff Dodd). That being said I was very excited tonight when, at our first dinner, I had a long conversation with the friends sitting by me about how we were feeling about this trip.

Tired. Thankful. Anxious. Intrigued. Peaceful.

These were several of the answers given tonight at dinner when asked, “what is one word that describes how you’re feeling right now?” Each of these answers were given by a different student who has embarked on this journey with me, and each time one of my friends elaborated on their choice of word I was inspired and excited about the journey that lies ahead of us.


Tired.

We made it. After a long two-day journey, our group has finally settled into the hostel that we will call home for the next five days before moving on to our next adventure. As I sit in the yellow common room writing this post, I hear nothing but the sounds of nature outside and the typing of computers from Nick, myself, and another backpacker that has chosen this hostel as his temporary home. Three students remain awake while the rest of our group has been sound asleep since we arrived home after dinner. We are very tired, but even our exhaustion hasn’t silenced our excited conversations and our curious minds.


Intrigued.

As soon as we stepped foot in Zambia, we were intrigued. I saw the curiosity as members of Sacred Heart, a local choir, greeted us at the airport and we had our first interaction with people we will be spending the next several days with. I saw the curiosity as everyone excitedly looked out the window of the bus and tried to take in everything about our first sights of Zambia during a twenty-minute commute from the airport to our hostel. I saw the curiosity as we explored our new home and as we introduced ourselves to the employees. We are intrigued and excited to ask questions, listen to stories, share music, and develop relationships.


Thankful.

As I sat around the dinner table sharing food and conversation, it was difficult to not be incredibly thankful for where life has brought me. During the summer of 2016, I spent one month studying abroad in Zambezi, a small village in the Northwestern Province of Zambia. One year ago I did not know that I would be returning to Zambia today. I am so incredibly thankful to have returned to a place that has brought me so much joy and love.


Anxious.

With travelling to new areas of the world comes inevitable anxiety about not knowing what to expect—a fear of venturing into the unknown. The unknown can be an incredibly exciting concept, too. As we went around the table sharing what we are nervous about, everything that was shared also served as an opportunity for growth. Throughout the next two weeks there is a lot we can be nervous about, but there is equally much to be excited about.


Peaceful.

Above all, I feel at peace being back in Zambia, a country that absolutely captured my heart last summer. I feel at peace knowing that I get to share this special experience with so many of my close friends. I feel at peace when I imagine the relationships that will develop, the music that will be shared, and the laughter and joy that we will experience in the next two weeks. I feel at peace knowing that Zambia and Zimbabwe will take good care of us, and I have no doubt that we will feel at home very quickly.


Hopes and Dreams

As we waited for our dinner, my side of the table continued our conversation by talking about hopes and dreams we have for our futures. During this conversation, I couldn’t help but think about the hopes and dreams that I have for this trip.

I hope that we will be willing to let Zambia and Zimbabwe break our hearts open so we can better love others.

I hope that we don’t shy away from difficult experiences, and instead see them as opportunities for growth.

I hope we leave Zambia and Zimbabwe with open eyes, full hearts, and with more questions than answers.

And above all, I hope that we continue feeling tired, anxious, thankful, intrigued, and peaceful.


Much love and many blessings,

Katie Kenkel
Class of 2017



Comments

  1. Katie, wow it is so weird to be on this side of the blog. I am happy that you all made it safe and sound through all those flights. It brings a smile to my face knowing you are back on Zambian soil. I can see you sitting in that yellow living room just as we sat in the cornvent a year ago. I wish you the happiest of times, to be challenged in new ways, and to grow in the new experience. I can't wait to keep reading this blog too! Kisu mwane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, as much as I miss you, I am so glad that you are once again in that part of the world where I can see you do feel so much peace and love. Our choir is lucky to have your shining presence among them.
    Elayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kenks, you're the best, and you best be asking the hard questions of yourself and those around you. I am so happy you have this opportunity to continue sharing your gifts in a region that captured you so completely. I can't wait to see how you grow in the next few weeks, and my hope is that you will let yourself be open to change in ways you can't contemplate now. Kisu mwane. Dodd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kenks, I don't think it's a coincidence you are up late in Zambia in another yellow room. I hope you find a similar sense of home and love in this one as you did the last. I can't wait to hear about all the ways you continue to learn and grow from Zambia and the rest of your group, as well as the ways you shape and love them. I hope the rest of your stay in Lusaka is tiring, intriguing, gracious, anxiety-filled, and peaceful, but in ways that keep your mind open and your heart expanding. Please eat a fritter from the roadside and drink a banana or strawberry ZamSip for me! Love you lots! - KB ("yes, another Katie")

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie,

    So good to hear your words. So glad to know your feet are on Zambian sand again. So much love to you and the group.

    Please do not drink a ZamSip for Katie B, as they are disgusting.

    the other other Katie (KP)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So grateful for your safe arrival and openness to a new and exciting adventure! Hope your director (and our son!) is doing well and buoyed by your peaceful, anxious, thankful, intrigued, and, yes, tired spirits! He is so proud of each and every one of you! Sing, sing, sing! All will be well!
    Betsy and Tom Westerhaus

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Katie-girl. Let's try this again...the comment we posted last night didn't go through. We were so happy to read your post and can only imagine the joy in your heart at being back to this tiny corner of the world which has earned such a special place in your heart. We could not be happier. Prayers and blessings to you in your "Zambia, Chapter Two", as well as to all of your fellow travelers who have yet to realize just how life-changing this experience will be.

    Blessings to y'all from Tennessee!
    Much love from (Katie's) Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15: And so the trip ended, the journey continuing in heart and mind

Day 5: This One's for the Girls