Day 15: Concert Order


Shawn Kirchner - Unclouded Day

Our program's name this year was taken from this piece. We sought to bring hope and highlight the light in our lives in a world that seems bleak and dark. With this trip through Zambia and Zimbabwe, I hope that we as a choir were able to share that message. Of course this tour wasn't just to share music. It gave us as a choir an opportunity to exchange culture and grow as a person ourselves and hoping to impact our hosts from halfway across the world from our home in the same manner. 

W.A. Mozart - Gloria in excelsis, from Great Mass in C Minor KV 427
E.W. Barnum - Afternoon on a Hill

The beauty of our wonderful planet should need no explanation. I am lucky to have seen it first hand on this trip as I have literally seen a natural wonder of the world. This continued today. The African landscape is stunning. Truly unlike anything I have ever seen in my life. In the Tamaa Art Centre we visited today, there were balancing rocks: large boulders balancing atop one another formed by erosion of softer surrounding rock. The sight was amazing to say the least. In addition, one of these natural formations had cave paintings from thousands of years ago on it. To get there, we had to walk up a small hill, but with it you could see the natural beauty of the landscape. I couldn't help but just look out in awe with quiet eyes and soak it all in.

Shirleen Abu-Khader - Adinu: "I believe in the religion of love"

Today I saw again the beauty of the Zimbabwean people. In my interaction with both the artists from the Tamaa Art Centre and the Chitungwiza Harmony Singers, they accepted me, welcomed me into their home and their work. They were all just so friendly. I'm unsure when I last had these kinds of interactions. Sometimes in this world, it's hard to keep us from dividing and warring. We alienate and dehumanize others. They don't deserve that. Every human has a story, and these small conversations and interactions reminded me of that and of the religion of love.

William L. Dawson - Ain'-A That Good News!
Moses Hogan - I'm Gonna Sing 'Til the Spirit Moves In My Heart

Spirituals were originally called "Sorrows." Why wouldn't they be? They came out of the most horrible experience to happen to Americans. Though grounded in stories and sadness, they still held a hopeful message for all to hear. I heard stories of very harsh hardship from some of the many people we met in our two week long adventure. We can see this hardship just be looking out around us where we are. There is pain and suffering in this country. Even so, I always find positive and optimistic people, enjoying their life as artists, singers, or whatever their position. They continue to strive for happiness, and well ain'-a that good news.

Joshua Rist - Invictus

Saying that this trip has been nothing but smooth sailing wouldn't even be worthy of partial credit on a test. We've had hardships over our journey: some minor inconveniences and some very tough struggles. It's rough. It's rough to see my friends in such a state. But we pulled through. We supported one another. Everyone in this choir cares so deeply for one another, and it shows. I saw the true love we all have for one another as we faced difficult times throughout this trip. Despite the hardships, we are the masters of our fate and the captains of our souls.

Shawn Kirchner - Hallelujah

Of course the elephant in the room for me is not the knitted one I bought for my girlfriend (If you're reading this Lauren, surprise!) but the fact that I have just performed my final performance as a member of GU Choirs. I honestly can't even believe it. Choir has been such a big part of my life these past four years. I'll admit it, I'm very sad I won't be a part of this wonderful community again. However, if I am sad, this means the past four years really did mean something. These wonderful four years capped off by this two week excursion with the most wonderful people I know meant something. To that, I sing and we all sing, "Hallelujah."

Rollo Dilworth - I Sing Because I'm Happy

This has been quite a journey, both the past four years of choir and these past two weeks in Zambia and Zimbabwe. The ending is very real now as I have worn my choir suit for the last time (And that awful tie, thank God). Though I might be sad this is all coming to an end, I cannot help but marvel at the true beauty I've seen as well as the hope for humanity I've regained. I've been moved by the countries of Zambia and Zimbabwe and my fellow choral members. I honestly can not think of a better way to end my Gonzaga singing career. 

So thank you, Dr. Westerhaus, Celeste, choir-mates who have graduated, who have more to go, and especially my fellow Class of 2017. Thank you, Mama, Papa, Sabina, and Lauren for putting up with my incessant singing and encouraging me to continue it. Thank you to all those who have supported my singing throughout the years and especially those who have supported Gonzaga University Choirs.

Thanks to you all, I sing. And I sing because I'm happy.

Francis Mana-ay
Tenor I
B.S. Mathematics '17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15: And so the trip ended, the journey continuing in heart and mind

Day 2: Table Talk

Day 13: We Are All Contractors